Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Time On The Long Road Project So Far...


when I was told about the Long Road Project I felt so far out of my comfort zone, but I shouldn't of worried. Being on the long road project has been such an amazing experience. I have met so many wonderful creative people and I have acquired new skills over the short period of 3 days.

It has been the first time where I have come into a project with no clue what to do usually i would know at least the medium I would base my work with, however i was shown that you don't always need to have a clear idea of your work all the time and that has lead me to using new materials in my work for this project.

saying that before going on the retreat for this project the rest of the group and I researched Richard longs working methods and researched Ilam hall, the place we were at for the retreat. I recorded and documented so much from such a lovely place, it was a place that helped me develop my understanding of walking practice and Richard Long's methods.

The first day involved 4 workshops which for me got all of the people on the project working together and getting to know each other but at the same time learning a little bit about all of the different creative faculties involved in this project. I really enjoyed this day as it helped me think of different ways I could produce work and that doing something completely different to my own practice may be a good thing. Therefore on day 2 I created my own walk and planned what will be shown in the exhibition in February. when discussing my ideas I loved how I could have different inputs from everyone for me to consider.

The final day was actually quite a sombre affair as we had to leave this amazing experience, which im hoping shows through in my work! I am currently going through all of the documentation (sorry for no photographs!) and moulding my ideas with this. I hope I can achieve a really good interesting piece for the show as I think it will maybe surprise my peers that know my usual work.

I thoroughly enjoyed the retreat and getting to work with everyone on the project and i cant wait to finish this piece and see everyone's work in the exhibition space!!


No comments:

Post a Comment