Wednesday, October 30, 2013

It's going to be a Long Road Ahead. (Ilam Hall Trip)

I had the great pleasure of going on a trip to Ilam Hall for the first time. I will be honest, I had no clue of what to expect from the trip, but it was worth it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the amazing rural landscape around the estate. After the trip was over, I made a realization of how the national trust has preserved these rural landscapes and we showed feel lucky that these places are not diminished by the urban landscapes.

Over the weekend, I just wanted to wander around Ilam Hall and Dovedale and see the wonders of the landscape. As I did, I thought a lot about Richard Long methods and all I could think of was his written literature.  I liked how he would just use simple words to describe his journey or walk. I would write down in the sketchbook what I felt when I was walking around the area. And try and condense the literature into ONE LONG sentence.

But I thought, as an idea for the exhibit, that I would apply sound to give it meaning and life. This was inspired by the workshops on Friday, specifically Doug's workshop, of trying to listen to one sound and not be distracted by the surrounding sounds around me. From that I had taken away aspects of what I could use for the exhibit and how that will help with my idea. My idea will be very different to what I do in animation, and that is refreshing, very different, but fun  :)

I had two great memories from the trip. The first being the ping pong rally in the games rooms. That was a great way of getting to know everyone in the group and just having some fun. Plus, it was a great attempt to get a rally going, which at times worked.

But my favourite memory is taking a hike to Cloud Thorpe (or, as I called it, the lonely mountain) When i was at the top, I could not ignore the amazing view that i saw. I can describe it in one word... #dynamic.

That's one view from the top of the hill.


This is the whole view.


Overall, I enjoyed the trip. It was sad to leave, but I've learnt a lot and taken away a lot. Thank you for the opportunity Anna. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment