Thursday, October 31, 2013

Borrowing Nature ..

The long road project ...

I was eager to get involved in this project because I enjoy working with nature and walking, I wanted to take advantage of this great opportunity to learn from different areas of work and how to approach each of them.


 It was great learning to, instead of just glancing and shooting an image, to stop and listen to the different sounds around you or focusing on your footsteps in the dark, to guide you about, and not just relying on what you can see. Influenced by using our different senses from the workshops I wanted to not just take photographs to print on paper but to explore touch as well. Also, from learning about Tim Knowles and his work, I liked the idea of trying to get as much nature involved into my work rather than just documenting a place with an image. From this I spent the weekend shooting 35mm film black and white images and stealing various textured objects, these include, stones, fossil rocks, tree bark, wood cuttings and various different leaf types to print my final images onto. As I am going to print on textured objects I had to think carefully about the images I was taking and what would work best upon the surfaces, I decided to focus on pathways and how they are naturally framed by the trees ect, but also the odd random close up object like mushrooms ect, this all challenged me to think differently about what I was shooting and was a great experience to explore textures and patterns.


I enjoyed just going off and exploring in our own time, letting my feet lead me all over to discover new places and scenes. Ilam is a beautiful place and was a loverly place to explore. We walked all the way up Thorpe Cloud to see the gorgeous view from the top, whilst there I wrote down some of my feelings and thoughts. I tried to tap into all of the scences whilst shooting images so that I can remember them as a package. It was great to be out in the countryside with nature and relax, just to breath, small things that you do not normally think about.


Overall the weekend was a great experience to discover new ways of working and looking at things, the workshops taught us to look closer at the place around us and notice the smaller details. Ilam Hall was a perfect location as we had the freedom to go off and create our work with the use of rivers, hills, sheep, history, woods and walkways. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and all we learnt, I plan to go back and return the objects that I have borrowed as printing materials and leave them where I found them as finished pieces of artwork.





No comments:

Post a Comment